Saturday, January 21, 2012

Back to basic

One week, maybe one and a half: that’s what it took for me to be back in the routine of being busy, busy, busy and forgetting to sleep. Meetings, deadlines, test, exams, activities, work-out and random other stuff suddenly takes up all the hours a day has (sometimes those hours are not enough!) But a lot of things have also changed, since we came back.

First of all, we (SH103) got a new shower curtain (yay!).

Our pool hours have changed, because Haugland, that we rent the pool from, is having financial problems, so they raised the prices, which resulted in us cutting about 18 hours of pool a week! In my opinion it is not as bad as it may sound like, because a lot of hours weren't used, or only used by one or two people (take Mondays, where I swam and life-guarded as an example.) These are the times that are cut. I find it annoying, of course, because it's most of the times that I used to swim, that are now gone, because I like swimming when the pool is not crowded, but I think it is all just a matter of getting used to going there on different times. And fortunately Tuesday and Thursday morning is still there :)

Also, I have started my new course, Theory of Knowledge (ToK). This course is mandatory for every IB-student all over the world, but is taught differently from school to school. Here, it is for example only taught for on year (January-December), where as at my old school in Denmark, they have it for the entire two years. From what I have heard, I got the best teacher, and though this might change after the summer vacation as my schedule might change a little, I am sure it can't be as boring a course as some second years have expressed.
The course basically questioning what we know, how we know it, what we can know and what we can't know. It questions every other subject we have and in the end, essentially, it should make us become 'critical thinkers.'

The first Monday we were back, we had an introduction meeting to our Extended Essay (EE). The EE is a 4000 word paper, supposed to prepare us for university papers and is also obligatory for everyone taking the IB diploma. Before February 12th (I think) we have to have handed in a sheet with our supervisor, whom we have to find ourselves as well, and who have to want to supervise and advise our EE/find the topic interesting, so we therefore also have to have an idea of what we want to do. This essay is by the way due in October, so we're starting extremely early, but it is nice, 'cause it makes us able to finish it before the 2nd year starts.
Personally, I asked my English teacher (because I want to write mine in English) and adviser, Pete. I told him about my thoughts and together we narrowed down a topic, that I find very interesting. At the moment I just started reading the book "American Psycho" which is, if I still want to after reading it, the book I will be basing my EE on. From here, I am planning on comparing the main character, Patrick Bateman's, surroundings and society and it's effects on him, with a real-life serial killer, who comes from a society like that.

I have this great, long list of blog ideas and other new things, but I'm going to cut it here for now, so I can go to my Saturday Night Party and you can take a break from reading.
More updates to come soon though!

No comments:

Post a Comment