Wednesday, January 25, 2012

First-Aid # 1

Today was the first day of our three-day long, 12-hour first aid course, that every first year at Red Cross Nordic is required to take.
We went over the very basics which I'd already mostly seen at the Lifeguard course; the first steps, from "Dr. ABC" to CPR or LoC and Secondary Survey, recovery position and "CLENSACH". It's basically what to do from when you first find a casualty and until there is an ambulance arriving, but of course we only learnt it for some situation. For example is things like epilepsy not covered until tomorrow. I could tell you about everything we learned, but I think that would be boring.

I thought a lot about this, and I finally came to the conclusion, that so far I LOVED IT. I have even re-considered joining the first-aid team. When I first heard about the mandatory first-aid course and all the opportunities students here can have to learn and develop first-aid skills I was convinced that I was going to grab that opportunity and definitely try to make the first aid team. I thought and think even more after today, that it is really nice and reassuring knowing what to do, if a situation should ever occur.
After a while being here, for multiple reasons I decided that this first-aid team probably wasn't for me anyways and that the mandatory course would be enough, but today really made me remember why I wanted it in the first place.
Not knowing first-aid leaves us walking around with a feeling of 'what if something ever happened?' Even to myself! I think it is one of the most relaxing things, having a basic knowledge like this. Now, since I have the amazing opportunity, that I see as a once in a lifetime thing, to learn a lot of first-aid here for free, I cannot see why I shouldn't. It is such an essential skill to know, because this little bit of knowledge can make such a big difference for another person's life.

I will write more on this feeling and if it changes the next couple of days...

3 comments:

  1. Du er så heldig at have mulighed for sådan nogle ting. Jeg glæder mig på dine vegne :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! Thank you so much for providing such interesting and informative stories about UWC life! I'm applying this year and RCNUWC is my first choice. Keep posting!

    (sorry about the earlier post I was in the wrong account!)

    ReplyDelete