Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Fall colors

As more and more leaves hit the ground and the trees turn from green to orange and yellow to brown and become emptier for the minute, the sun decided take a (maybe) last visit to RCN.

It is getting colder by the minute and I have had to unpack both woolen socks, thermal shirts (for my Flekke runs) and my winter jacket. According to the locals, taken from the amount of berries on the trees at this time a year, it will be a long and very cold winter with lots of snow. Can you feel the excitement already? If yes, please share. There is (almost) nothing worse than feeling cold. I even decided not to interview with a university or two, among other things, because they were located in climates too cold for me. I am also exaggerating a little bit :-) In reality I love wearing woolen socks and have been told multiple times that I am the worst Nordic ever, because I am always cold.  

Here is a couple of pictures from the weekend. Hopefully tomorrow morning will be as beautiful as today. This time I will bring my camera and be prepared so I can share some of the beauty of Flekke with you!



On Saturday was the dear First Years amazing show and I think we all enjoyed it. It was based mostly on sketches making fun of us second years, mixed between lots of talented dancing, singing and so on. Here: a picture of Emma (UK) and part of her band - Yondeen (Nepal) on the bass. Following the show was another Saturday night party and for the first time this year I stayed from beginning to end - 2½ hours of dancing and having fun! As always in great company :-) 


This week is Project Based Learning week (PBL). Some might remember it from my not extremely enthusiastic and positive post about the Chinese PBL I attended last year. I can promise you that this year's review will be much better! This year I am in a PBL called "A journey into self publishing" with my Spanish teacher, Ana. We are in the art room with a view over the fjord and tunes of music in the background - just as I like it. I won't talk too much about it now, but rather update by the end of the week, but here is a pre-view of the first step of my image book. It will not look like this once it is finished, but here is a teaser anyways :-)
When I'm not in the art room, I spend my time getting some of my to-do list finished and ticked off. Lately this has taken place from my new favorite spot: my bed, he he. It makes the cold a little more bearable when you can sit under a blanket with a cup of something hot, with candles and lights all around you!


On Friday I am headed for a day-trip to Oslo for the Norwegian National Committee's celebration of the 50 year anniversary of UWC. We are a group of 8 (I believe) students and a small number of staff selected to go. Attending will be no one else but the Queen of Norway, the Norwegian minister of education and other 'important' people. I am indeed very excited and still trying to figure out what to wear, ha ha. You know life is good when that is one of your biggest concerns! - More on this later as well.

I hope you are all keeping warm!
Mette 




No comments:

Post a Comment