Monday, November 7, 2011

In honor of the break

In honor of the break, I'm gonna give you an update on my subject. I mean, why not? I only have to leave for Prague in 6 hours :)
No, but since last week was feed-back week, I figured it was about time to give you an update on the IB situation.

Block A - English Language and Literature A1 HL
My teacher, Pete, is still really good and I think this is the right course me. For a while, I thought it was a little too easy, but I learned that it is as hard as you make it. The assignments are quite wide and as an example, I just wrote an 1500 word essay on the question whether English (as a global language) is universally accepted or if it is imposed on us. I could have done this very plane and simple, still satisfying the criteria from the dear IB, but I chose to look into the use of English in the music world - something that interests me, and ended up using a lot of time on it, because I enjoyed reading about it.
Also, so far, I've gotten only 6'es and 7's in the class, so it should be good.

Block B - Free Block :)

Block C - Economics HL
Again, I've got a really good teacher; Rudy. Rudy is a graduate from RCN himself, but has found a great balance between being a teacher and being friends with the students. The class really interests me, so I don't mind all the work it takes. I don't remember ever working this hard for school, but the difference here is that I don't really mind.

Block D - Mathematics Standard SL
My teacher in math. is good now. I didn't like her much at first, because she has a very different way of teaching maths than I am used to and classes went very fast. Now that I've had her for two months, it's a lot better. It's not a slacker subject, that's for sure, but I know that I can do it. I got a 7 on the last test (23/24 questions right!) that and the fact that she told me that she thought I was around a grade 5 now, but that I could definitely do 7 and I should go for that, gave me the motivation boost I needed.

Block W - Physics Combined (SL)
Physics is my 'new kid in town' and it is a tough one to get around, but once again I must admit; I don't mind. The teacher, Chris, is just amazing and I never thought I could enjoy a science, especially not like this. I'm not doing horrible, but I know that I need to read and do exercises after every single class, in order to keep up. Overall more than really happy, that I switched from E-systems.

Block X - Nordic Literature Combined (HL)
This is probably my most chill class. Don't get me wrong, there's is plenty of essays to write and books to read, but as long as I do that, I don't have to put much more of an effort into it. My feed-back in this class was great as well. The Danish teacher told me that my Paper 1 (one of the exams paper, that we did our first practice one of a couple of weeks ago) was to a 7, and he's pretty strict. My teacher, Linda from Sweden, also said that I was doing that great in the class, so just to keep it up.

Block Y - Spanish ab initio SL
That funny moment when you realize your Standard Level classes and harder/more work than your Higher Level subjects. I mean Economics - okay work, but English and Nordic is just pretty chill. For Standard Levels I have Physics and Math and then also Spanish.
Spanish is like Physics. I need to review after every single class in order to stay on track. A perfect example of this is the test I have after the break on everything we've learned so far and how screwed I feel. More reviewing for me coming up!

Overall, I am super happy about my subjects, but even more happy that this week is November break and that I'm leaving in 5 hours!! I'll be back on Saturday night, so stay tuned for updates on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment