Monday, November 14, 2011

Nothing can get me down

I have went through a lot of feelings these past 3 months. Feelings I've never felt before and feelings I thought I'd never have.
For me, going on exchange proved that I could do anything, or so I thought. During those 10 months I never felt horribly homesick. Of course I missed my family and small things, but it was never as bad as I heard others talk about. So going to Norway, so much closer to home shouldn't be hard, right? It would be around 3 months and then I'd be home for Christmas - that's only a third of what I stayed away last time! Tshhh.. As easy as stealing candy from a child. At least that's what I thought.

Going here was different though. It was in some way overwhelming to have people around all the time, but that didn't really bother me much, because I knew I could always close my curtains and be just me. (I love my bed :))
I can't tell you exactly what it is that made me long for home so much...
The past year in Denmark made me realize who was important in my life and how much I love them. Coming home from exchange was tough and it took me a long time to accept that I was back and appreciate what I had now.
So what do I have now?
I have the best family in the world. A mother and a father who does everything for me and who is just always there, no matter what I put them through. I have two older brothers who I couldn't imagine a life without, even when they mess with me. I have two grandparents who I love so dearly and look up too. I have a nephew who I miss every second of every day and I have a "sister-in-law," aunts, uncles, cousins and an amazing host family. I have friends and I know who they are more than ever. I live a life which was my dream and I still have the world in front of me.

Since we only have 24 days left at college before December break, it's officially Christmas here - a sorta pre-holiday. Christmas is about appreciating what you have and I do more than ever and I think this appreciation is what has made it so hard being away for these past months, which is why I'm gonna turn this appreciation around and live my life fully, knowing that I have an amazing back-up.
I have put up my new light-chain in my bed and now I'm just sitting in here, listening to Christmas music and drinking tea. I have truly found the up-side of Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment