Sunday, February 5, 2012

Birthdays

For me, it's a pretty big deal making sure at least my closest friends here gets a memorable birthday, since I think most countries have a lot of traditions around this day and it might be hard not to be at home.
For the Danish birthdays, it's a tradition that we wake up the person by singing the Danish Birthday song (I dag er det ... fødselsdag), take them to breakfast/brunch where we've also baked cakes, bread ect. and then sing again in the Cantine for everyone to hear (... har fødselsdag + 3 instrumenter).

An example of a Danish breakfast table

In general it's a tradition after the birthday-kids wish, that some sort of celebration is thrown. Some have "drop by and say happy birthday in the room" and others have a get-together with their closest friends. Some (mostly boys) gets pranked, while others prefer nothing at all. '

Today was my boyfriends birthday and another unwritten rule, is that in general the girlfriend/boyfriend prepares the event, of course only if there is a relationship. Since this weekend is also host family weekend, Samuel had asked me to wait and celebrate it on Monday, and only invite his good friends (30+ people!) Therefore, last night when it turned midnight, I had asked the college to stop by the Saturday Night party, say happy birthday and throw him in the snow - a little revenge for all the times he's thrown me in the snow :) After that I had him come to my room where me and Kathrine (danish second year) were waiting with a Danish birthday cake (lagkage!!). This morning I woke him up with breakfast/pancakes on bed and otherwise it's been a cozy, normal day. Tomorrow night we're having a cozy arrangement for the 32 invited people and a lot more cake and sweets. I hope he'll enjoy.

Here's some pictures from my cake-making process: (unfortunately never got a picture of the finished cake, but it did taste yummi!)

Happy Birthday to Sam :)

No comments:

Post a Comment